“The virtues of donations are great, because it helps the needy and at the same time it gives an opportunity to the donor to give the surplus to the people in need ” - Sama Veda

Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

PIRANDAI THOGAYAL

Pirandai / Perandai in Tamil, with ribbed veins, is a medicinal plant grown in kitchen garden. A small piece of stem planted in a pot grows abundantly, and it does magic in one's health. It is also known as bonevine, adamant creeper, and veldt grape.

Pirandai made in the form of thogayal or thuvaiyal can be had atleast once a week as it has many health benefits.

MEDICINAL BENEFITS OF PIRANDAI :

Pirandai has enormous medicinal benefits. It is useful in curing digestive problems , breathing problems, cough, piles, nausea, flatulence (vaayu or gas in digestive track, stomach and bowels). It acts as an appetiser.

IMPORTANT NOTE WHILE CLEANING PIRANDAI:

1. Pirandai makes the hand a little itchy. So, do not use your hand while washing the stem. Run under tap water.
2. Apply little gingelly oil to hand before cleaning and chopping. After chopping or cleaning again apply gingelly oil, rub a little salt over your hands and rinse your hand OR use a glove.
3. Adding tamarind to pirandai dishes is a must as it neutralises the itching tendency of this stem.

INGREDIENTS:

Pirandai - 1/4 cup (chopped)
Tamarind - half the lemon size
Scraped coconut - 1/2 cup
Curry leaves - a fistful
Jaggery - a turkey berry(sundakkai) size (optional...I didn't use)
Dry red chillies - 2
Pepper - 1/2 tsp.
Urad dhal - 1 tablespoon
Salt - as per taste
Oil - 1 tablespoon

METHOD:

Pluck or select tender stems of pirandai. Wash well. Peel off the ribbed, hard veins. Chop into small pieces.

1. Heat a kadai, add a tsp. of oil and fry the red chillies, pepper and urad dhal to golden brown. Keep aside.

2. In the same kadai, saute the curry leaves without moisture. Keep aside.

3. Again in the same kadai, heat the remaining oil and add the chopped pirandai, simmer the stove and saute well for 5 minutes.

Grind 1,2 and 3 alongwith scraped coconut, tamarind and salt to a coarse paste.

Pirandai thogayal is ready to be mixed with hot cooked rice and ghee.

27 comments :

  1. My mom & paati makes the same way except curry leaves , one of my friend's mom even make a pickle... love this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been ages I had this..my mom used to make this chutney...love it wid rice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its been ages I had this..My mom used 2 make this...gr8 wid rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. It used to grow so much in our old house in Namakkal...long time that i have ever come across this herb. Brings back memories and want to be home for all these small indulgences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pic luks so cute with pirandai thogayal..I have seen it only in tanjore veg market..Usually,they say giving a pirandai to the iyer on thevasam equals the power of giving 100 veggies...Nice tips on using pirandai

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very new to me.I am not too sure If I would be able to find pirandai here in Munich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yumm and healthy Thugaiyal.Luks Superb.Luv it

    ReplyDelete
  8. New to me. never had,looks yummym

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brings back memory of the old times. I don't see it anymore here. It used to grow in paatima's home and she makes it a weekly affair to have this thogayal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mil used to prepare them very often but IK never taste before..looks yummy akka..should try them when she makes it again:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. healthy and green is looing beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  12. very healthy and delcious !!

    Ongoing Event - Festive Food

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its been a long time since I had this thogaiyal ur post is tempting me to grab it and have it with rice nallennai and sutta applam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its been ages i had this thuvaiyal, very inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Its new to me....Looks delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice info and recipe, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My paati prepares this often whenever she get pirandai. I love it and demands when I go to my native. Very good healing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Mil makes this often,but somehow i never attempted to taste this as the name is scary for me.nice authentic recipe

    ReplyDelete
  19. my MIL makes this one.. i shd try it once thanks for sharing the health benefits ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. good healthy recipe..have tasted this only once

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks with loaded health benefits..nice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thaks for stopping my space...
    Its new to me but looks declious will try it soon...booke marked!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice to know about this healthy recipe...never had it though...

    http://www.panchamrutham.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been wanting to make this too..but once i tried plucking this...my hands got so itchy...I did not know what to do..nice post..and by the way I tried your pista barfi it came out so well thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its new to me....Looks delicious. Thanks for sharing nice information and healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and valuable comments.