“The virtues of donations are great, because it helps the needy and at the same time it gives an opportunity to the donor to give the surplus to the people in need ” - Sama Veda

Search This Blog

Friday, July 9, 2010

JAVVARISI VADAAM (SAGO VADAAM)


INGREDIENTS:


  • Sago(Javvarisi) - 1 cup
  • Water - 7 cups
  • Green chillies and salt paste - as per taste
  • Buttermilk - 1 cup (optional)
  • Oil- 2 tsp.


METHOD:


Wash sago and keep aside.

Pour 7 glasses of water in a heavy bottomed vessel and boil it. Add 2 tsp. oil (this prevents the sago from sticking to each other), sago and chilli-salt paste (I used 2 chillies for a cup of sago). Let it boil until the sago becomes transparent. Add a small cup of buttermilk (The vadaam will be white in colour while frying).

Prepare the mixture in night and spread the vadaam in the morning. The mixture will be watery but in the morning it will become thick. Spread a plastic sheet in mottai maadi (open terrace) and pour the mixture with a spoon to a round shape. Dry in the hot sun for two to three days until dry and store in an air-tight container. Deep fry in oil when required.

30 comments :

  1. Looks so perfect and am craving for this now ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowww... Looks perfect and tempting dear.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out so good.My favorite..............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe sounds easy..looks too good

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always purchase these from the market. thanks for sharing the recipe, must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow woo Shanthi..Would love to have some now...perfect vadams

    Love
    Kairali sisters

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these Maami. My atthai makes these with tomatoes and also with pudina. I love the tomatoes ones the best! Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shanti I am a very very big fan of Javarisi Vathal, can you pack some and send me? the vadam picture looks very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. few days back while reading ladies coup I got to know that sabu papad is called Vadaam and see here you are sharing the recipe. am bookm arking this as I love to eat these crunchy delicacies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love them Shanthi, please do send it to "Cooking With Seeds - Sago Seeds" event. Details can be found on my blog's left side bar where all blog events are listed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god. These vadams are so nostalgic to me. I remember the days when I used to sit in the terrace to take care of them and would get lots of bribes from mom for doing that job. And these vadams are yummy when they are half dried. :) Love it totally. Nice post and pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Butter milk tip is really great. Thanks Shantiji for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...i love this...and remembers my mom's taste...! simple n yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mom do this vadam prefectly, love it with milagai killi sambar, my favourtie vadam..

    ReplyDelete
  15. i used to make this every summer when i was in chennai. now a days mom or mil makes and send to me.pictures are so beautiful.my fav vadaam

    ReplyDelete
  16. sago vadaams r my favorite ...my mom used to prepare these...looks so perfect n tempting

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love this vadam..my mom used to make it..

    ReplyDelete
  18. looks perfect thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always used to bring this from outside,but never tried doing it at home ....looks nice

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cute was that Mottai maadi word! my mister loves vadaams..I'll have to give a try

    ReplyDelete
  21. followed the exact the recipe and vadams were white and perfect

    ReplyDelete
  22. followed the recipe and vadams were white and perfect planning to make more

    ReplyDelete
  23. first time i did your recipe with 1 cup and it was really very good and everybody like it very much. so this time i tried this morning with 2 1/2 cup,but it is full of cracks. is there any remedy for this? in which step i made mistake

    ReplyDelete
  24. Shanthi, shd we add rice flour ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shanthi, shd we add rice flour ?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Shanthi, shd we add rice flour ?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Shanthi, shd we add rice flour ?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it..i will definitely try it this summer and tell you my experience

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and valuable comments.