“The virtues of donations are great, because it helps the needy and at the same time it gives an opportunity to the donor to give the surplus to the people in need ” - Sama Veda

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

MANOHARAM


Manoharam in Tamil means beautiful. Yes. This sweet is also beautiful. This is a lovely bakshanam made in tamil marriages.

INGREDIENTS:


Thenkuzhal - 6 (approx. 3 cups)
Crushed jaggery - 1 or 1 1/2 cups
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp.

Rice flour - 2 tsp.

METHOD:


Crush thenkuzhal into small pieces.
Crush and powder the jaggery. Dissolve in half a cup of water, strain without any dirt or mud.

Heat jaggery and make soft ball syrup out of the jaggery. Drop a little of jaggery syrup in a cup of water, and using your hand try making a soft ball from it inside the water. This is the perfect consistency for the jaggery syrup.

Quickly add cardamom powder and crushed thenkuzhals. Mix well and transfer it to a plate. Pat your hands in rice flour (this will avoid syrup sticking to hand) and make balls out of it when hot and then tighten the balls.

9 comments :

  1. Maami,

    This is one of my fav sweets. When I was growing up and when it was summer time, all cousins used to meet up. My mom or atthais would make this and fill up andan kundan with this and we would devour it all like devils. Reminds me of those good old days.

    I'll try to make this sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I am from Blore, & i accidentally stumbled upon ur blog & ever since got hooked on.
    I have tasted this sweet @ a function but had no clue whatsoever how to go about it.
    Browsing thro' ur blog, I'm thrilled to find it & that too from a authentic source.
    Your attractive presentation is pressing me to try my hand at it.
    Before i actually venture out pl address a couple of doubts that is nagging me.
    How much water goes into the jaggery syrup & pl give cup measurement of the crushed thenkuzhal pieces.
    Thanks for inspiring me & keep sharing all your specialities

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too like the looks of this sweet.
    However pl clarify a couple of doubts.
    How much water to use for the syrup & pl give the cup measurement for the crushed thenkuzhal.
    I'm waiting to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jayasree, I have clarified your doubts by mentioning in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jayashree 6 thenkuzhals come to approximately 3 cups . Jaggery should be dissolved in half a cup of water and strained and then heat it. Hope you have not seen the dish after your doubts are clarified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a TON for your prompt response. Now I can set out to experiment confidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my fav, feeling hungry now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    First time on your blog. I love manoharam...In fact I had forced my mom to keep one paruppu thengai for my seemantham as manoharam!!! We got it from grand sweets in madras...guess i shd try it on my own///is it the dark vellam or the lighter one or does it not matter??

    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't matter what vellam you have, but dark vellam gives a good colour. Which we say as paahu vellam.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit and valuable comments.